NMU Registrar's Update






August 2013



Accommodations for Family Visitors

Address, Filing a Local

Add, Drop and Withdrawal Deadlines

Americans with Disabilities Act Accommodations

Athletic Program Participation Rates

Changing or Declaring Major

(Jeanne) Clery Act

Communication with Students, Official University Policy

Computer User ID & Password

Copyright Infringement Zero Tolerance Policy

Course Repeat Policy

Directory Information

Directory Information, Implications of Restricting

Directory Information, Restricting Information from the NMU Phone Book

Emergency Text-Message Alerts

Empowering Yourself: Safety Awareness

Equal Opportunity

FERPA Notification

Financial Aid Notification


Grade Changes

Graduate Student Information

Graduation, December

Graduation Rates

Off-Campus Living

Overage Checks

Parent Partnership

Parking On Campus

President's Welcome

Proxy Access

Residence Hall Move-In

Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) Policy

Semester Deletion Policy

Sex Offender Registration

State Consumer Protection Violation Contract

Student Employment

Student's Right to Review Records


Tuition Billing Statements

Vehicle Registration

iphone smartphone

Changing or Declaring Your Major
All changes to majors, except education and psychology majors, are made by the staff in the Academic and Career Advisement Center, C.B. Hedgcock, Room 3302. Students can submit their request on the web. Students wishing to declare a major in education or psychology must contact the respective department.

Academic and Career Advisement Center
C.B. Hedgcock,
Room 3302
Phone: 906-227-2971
e-mail: acac@nmu.edu

Tuition and Fee Payment Plans
NMU offers three options for the payment of tuition and fees and housing charges. The options are designed to assist students and their families to meet their financial obligations to the university. More information is posted on the web at www.nmu.edu/
or contact the Student Service Center.

Student Service Center

C.B. Hedgcock,
Room 2201

Phone: 906-227-1221
E-mail: ssc@nmu.edu

website: www.nmu.edu/ssc

Expecting an Overage Check?

A notice will be sent to your NMU e-mail address when your overage check is available. For more information contact the Student Service Center.

Student Service Center

C.B. Hedgcock,
Room 2201

Phone: 906-227-1221
E-mail: ssc@nmu.edu

website: www.nmu.edu/ssc

Waiter in Tux

Cat Career Tracks is an online system that allows you to manage your job search more efficiently.  To utilize this system, activate your account at www.myinterfase.com
Log in today to view all of the available job openings, both on- and off- campus.  Both work-study and regular employment positions are posted. 

For part-time jobs in Dining Services or Housing and Residence Life, please fill out the applications found online www.nmu.edu/
and return to the specific departments.

For a complete list of services offered, contact Career Services.

Career Services

C.B. Hedgcock,
Room 3302.3

Phone: 906-227-2800
E-mail: careers@nmu.edu

website: www.nmu.edu/careers


The university does not mail grade reports. Final grades will be available online at  mynmu.nmu.edu after each semester.  You can also access an unofficial transcript and check your class schedule using mynmu.nmu.edu.


The Registrar's Update is a web-based newsletter, published each August prior to the fall semester. It's designed to keep students, faculty and staff informed about new programs, policies and other information necessary to get the fall semester off to a smooth start.

Student Services Offices Open Saturday, Aug. 24

NMU Campus Welcome SignThe following offices will be open Saturday, Aug. 24, from 10 a.m. - 2 p.m. to provide student services prior to the beginning of the fall semester, which begins Monday, Aug. 26.

  • Academic and Career Advisement Center

  • Dean of Students

  • Disability Services

  • Financial Aid

  • First Year Experience

  • Housing and Residence Life

  • Multicultural Education and Resource Center

  • Public Safety and Police Services

  • Student Service Center


Sign Up Your Parents

All parents of Northern students can sign up to join the award-winning NMU Parent Partnership. This program features regular e-mail newsletters (or postal-mail copies when necessary) from President David Haynes to parents Dropping Son Offthat highlight activities taking place on campus, discuss higher education issues, and answer questions sent to President Haynes from parents about how and why Northern operates the way it does. There is no cost to join the Parent Partnership.

So, ask your mom and dad if they’ve already signed up. If they haven’t, encourage them to do so. To subscribe to the newsletter, they can go to www.nmu.edu/parents, click on the newsletter link at the top and fill out the brief sign-up questionnaire.  If your parents need to register by mail, they can do so by writing to NMU Parent Partnership, Office of the President, Northern Michigan University, 1401 Presque Isle Avenue, Marquette, MI  49855. When signing up by mail, parents should include their name, address and phone number, as well as your name and high school.

If your parents have signed up for the NMU Parent Partnership newsletter but haven’t received any of the issues, there may be a firewall or browser issue. Suggest that they put the Parent Partnership e-mail address, NMUPres@nmu.edu, in their e-mail address book, which sometimes enables newsletter delivery to work around such problems. If the problems continue, they should e-mail NMUPres@nmu.edu or call 906-227-2242.


Computer User ID and Password

Wondering how to find your (e-mail) user ID and password?
If you are a new user, go to myuser.nmu.edu and select New User Page. Follow the prompts to set your password.

If you know your user ID but have forgotten your password, go to myuser.nmu.edu and select I Lost my Password. Follow the prompts to set a new password.

2011 Lenovo Thinkpad ComputerStudents who are having computer problems they can't resolve should stop by the Computing Help Desk with a picture I.D. and their laptop. The Computing Help Desk is at 116 Learning Resource Center, 906-227-2468, www.nmu.edu/helpdesk.

TIP: Look up your User ID at www.nmu.edu/whois

A list of resource links for current students is available at

Laptop Distribution Dates

The Superior Dome will be the distribution site for notebook computers that are provided to all full-time NMU students as part of tuition and fees; part-time students pay a rental fee.Superior Dome Entrance This year’s Dome distribution will be Thursday and Friday, Aug. 22-23. During early August, a complete TLC information package was sent to all full-time students via their NMU e-mail account or, for incoming freshmen and transfer students, via U.S. mail. The package includes an assigned computer pickup/exchange time and information regarding computing services, registration and set up.  Distribution information for students can be found at:


To receive a computer, a student must be currently enrolled (tuition paid or tuition payment plan selected) and registered for credit-earning classes. Students must present a valid picture ID and sign a Computer Use Agreement. If the student is under 18, a parent or legal guardian must sign the Computer Use Agreement.

Superior Dome Ariel ViewAssistance with set up and registering the computer will be available on-site. To receive help, students will need their NMU (e-mail) user ID and password. First-time students should have received a user ID and password at orientation. Students who have lost or forgotten their user ID or password can go to myuser.nmu.edu on the web, or contact the Help Desk, helpdesk@nmu.edu, 227-2468, room 116, Learning Resource Center. The Help Desk will have a booth in the Superior Dome during distribution.

A video that demonstrates how to set up the notebook computer and register it to NMU's network, and provides helpful hints for the care of the computer will air on Charter Channel 20. It will be shown at the bottom of the hour beginning at 9:30 a.m. every day, with the last showing at 11:30 p.m.

Students who cannot make their assigned time during the distribution will need to go to the Micro Repair Office, located in the lower level of the LRC, to pick up their computers. Micro Repair will be open from 1-5 pm Sunday, Aug. 25, 8:30 a.m. until 6:30 p.m. Monday through Thursday, and Friday, 8:30 a.m. until 4:30 p.m.


Laptop Distribution Dates, Locations and Times




Thurs., Aug. 22

Superior Dome

10 am-6 pm

Fri., Aug. 23

Superior Dome

9 am-6 pm

Mon., Aug. 26–Thurs., Aug. 29

LRC 122

8:30 am-6:30 pm


Order Your Transcripts Online!


Order online and receive automatic order updates by email.


Northern Michigan University has authorized the National Student Clearinghouse to provide transcript ordering via the web. You can order transcripts using any major credit card.


Current Students: Log into mynmu.nmu.edu. NMU TranscriptClick on the Student Services tab, then the “enrollment verification” link. Once you are at the National Student Clearinghouse web site, select the “transcript ordering/tracking” link. Also, currently enrolled students can access their unofficial transcripts at no charge on mynmu.nmu.edu.


Former Students: Go to www.getmytranscript.com or to the National Student Clearinghouse secure site.

 A     B     C     D     F

Grade Changes

Occasionally an error is made in the calculation or recording of a grade. If you feel that a clerical error has been made in a winter or summer grade, contact your instructor immediately. Faculty must submit grade changes for clerical errors to the Registrar’s Office by the 15th working day of the semester (Friday, Sept. 13). For more information on the grade change policy, please contact the Registrar's Office.


Registrar's Office

C.B. Hedgcock, Room 2202

Phone: 906-227-2278
Email: records@nmu.edu

website: www.nmu.edu/records


President's Welcome

NMU Students,


It’s good to have you back on campus. To those who are joining our university for the first time, welcome. I think you’ll find Northern Michigan University to be a great place to live and learn.


Within the pages of this publication you’ll learn about a lot of activity takingDavid Haynes place on campus right now, including new facilities (renewable energy plant on Wright Street, construction of the new academic building to replace Jamrich Hall next fall and a pavilion near Lee Hall) and new academic offerings (actuarial sciences, alternative energies and wildland firefighting). NMU faculty and staff are committed to providing you a world-class educational experience, so they are constantly trying to improve the academic menu and learning environment to meet the needs of students.


Last year, NMU was chosen as the 2013 Engaged Campus of the Year by the Michigan Campus Compact for our university’s community service and service learning. I am so proud of this award and of all of the great work being done by Northern students in the community. It shows you take your role as local and global citizens seriously, something that does not go unnoticed by the community, prospective employers and professional school selection committees.


Athletically, I applaud the growing Wildcat roar on campus. There certainly has been more green and gold everywhere. Last year, we introduced the Homecoming community block party on Third Street. It was a great time despite the rain, and I hope we’ll see you at this year’s event on Saturday, Sept. 21. Keep showing that Wildcat pride!

I’m excited to begin my second year as your university president. When you see me around campus, please introduce yourself and tell me about your NMU experience thus far. Or get to know me by following me on Twitter at https://twitter.com@davidshaynes. Study hard and take full advantage of the amazing number of opportunities available to you here. If you do, you’ll love being a Northern student. I know – I used to be one, and that time period, although a long time ago, is still among the best of my life.

Go ‘Cats!

David S. Haynes, NMU President

In The News

Access to Records - Proxy Access

Students have the option of sharing certain aspects of their academic record with others through our Proxy Access system. Granting access is done easily through the student's mynmu account. All they need is the e-mail address of the person they want to give access to. For more information and instructions on how to grant someone access, go to www.nmu.edu/records/share.


NMU Uses E-Mail as the Official Way of Communicating with Students

Lady with a LaptopNorthern Michigan University uses a student’s NMU e-mail account as its primary means of communicating official university business, including legally required information as a condition of enrollment. All NMU students are required to use their assigned NMU e-mail accounts to receive communication from the university.


Every Student Needs to File a Local Address and Phone Number

Even though NMU uses e-mail as a primary way to communicate with students, the university still needs an updated address and phone number. NMU faculty and staff or classmates may try to reach students by phone or important documents may be sent by mail.


If you have not given the university your local address, information will be sent to your permanent address. This could possibly result in a delay in receiving information that is time-sensitive.


You can update your local and permanent address and phone number instantly on the web at mynmu.nmu.edu, or stop by the Student Service Center and fill out an address change form.

Student Service Center

C.B. Hedgcock,
Room 2201

Phone: 906-227-1221
Email: ssc@nmu.edu

website: www.nmu.edu/ssc

Tuition and Fee Billing Statements Sent

Tuition and fee rates and billing statements are available for viewing and/or making payment at https://ebill.nmu.edu. The due date for tuition, fees, room and board was Wednesday, Aug. 7.

To assist with questions about tuition and fees and other university issues, the NMU Information Center recently reopened. The center is manned by a full-time staff member Tuition Billand NMU students who field telephone calls made to the Student Service Center and Financial Aid offices.

For questions about tuition and fees, financial aid or general “start of the semester” matters, call 906-227-1221.

Smiling GraduateGraduating in December?
Don't Miss the Deadline!

If you are planning to graduate at the end of the fall semester, you must register for graduation so a final degree audit can be completed to verify your eligibility. Register online just the same way as you would for a class or contact the Student Service Center [906-227-1221]. The deadline is Thursday, Aug. 29.


Register your car on the web
Parking Decal Required to Park On Campus

Students wishing to park on campus during the school year must purchase Commuter Parking Signa parking permit. Students have the option of registering their vehicles on mynmu.nmu.edu or in person at Public Safety Parking Services. Students who register on mynmu.nmu.edu will have their parking permit mailed to them. A valid vehicle registration is required if you register a vehicle in person. No exceptions will be granted.

All tickets are valid citations including those written the first week of school. Tickets issued for failure to register a motor vehicle will not be excused after the registration deadline, which is Tuesday, Sept. 3. Students who need to park on campus after this date and do not have a valid permit must stop at Public Safety and Police Services and get a temporary permit. Temporary permits are available for up to 5 days a semester at no charge. Four-week temporary permits are available for $30.

The fee for commuters, residents (28 credits or more), freshmen and university apartment residents is $140. Second vehicle permits are half the price of the first vehicle permit. Motorcycle permits are $22.50.

Parking Decal Application

Current Students - If you have already registered for classes, please purchase your parking decal(s) on mynmu.nmu.edu. The application can be found under the Student Services tab. You must be registered for classes in order to purchase a parking decal.

Visitors and Guests - Please visit Public Safety and Police Services to receive a complimentary parking pass. (Building #46 on the NMU campus map.)

Public Safety and Police Services
Parking Bureau
100 Services Building